Lately I have been feeling like I might be getting into the beginnings of a blogging slump. I’m not there yet–so maybe I’m pre-slump? But I could feel it coming on unless I changed something. So I sat down with a notebook and I made a list of questions about my blog I wanted to answer over the next few days. I had hoped that seeing what I wanted to change, what I wanted to stay, and the root cause of my feelings might help me. I found the exercise incredibly helpful, but I wanted to share some of the questions I asked myself with you! I had more than just this list, since some of mine were too specific to make vague, but I think most of these questions could be helpful for any book blogger.
1)How do I want to move forward with my blog?
2) Do I still want to participate in _________(any meme or feature you participate in)?
Note: The one I was asking myself about was Top Ten Tuesdays. I love Top Ten Tuesdays, but it means that every week I participate, my post for that Tuesday was taken. I was beginning to feel stale with it. I haven’t quite made up my mind what I’m going to do about TTT, but at least the question is out there now.
3) Am I enjoying my review format?
4) Do I like the tone of my posts?
5) Am I happy with the balance between reviews/discussions/features?
Note: One thing I found when doing this exercise was that I wasn’t really happy with the balance between reviews and discussions, and I’m going to work on changing it in the future.
6) Do I want to collaborate more?
7) Should I do a reader survey?
8) Do I need to bring back _______(perhaps any feature or meme you used to participate in and no longer do)?
9) Do I want to mix up my social media channels?
10)Do I want to keep all my current social media channels?
11) Do I need or want to take a blogging break?
12) Is something in my real life affecting my feelings towards my blog?
Note: Sometimes, I think blogging slumps happen because we burn ourselves out on our blogs, and it can be good to take a break then. But I also think sometimes real life can sort of “take over” a blogging rut and make you think you’re in a worse head space than you actually are. When I was feeling the beginnings of pre-slump, I realized that I was trying to find both a new job and a new apartment: stressful!
13) Do I want to update or change my blog design?
14) Do I need to revisit any blogging promises/resolutions/goals?
15) Do I want to keep reviewing as many books as I do?
16) Am I feeling guilty, tired, or bored?
Note: When I was asking myself this, I was trying to pinpoint the exact cause of the pre-slump. If I was feeling guilty, I wanted to cut back on commitments. If I was feeling tired, I was going to consider a break. If I was feeling bored, I wanted to change things up more. I decided I was feeling more bored than anything, and just really wanted to incorporate new things on the blog.
17) Do I have any other hobbies or interest I want to incorporate into my blog?
18) Do I want to revisit any old features or discussion posts?
19) What posts have others written lately that I really love?
20) What are my all-time favorite posts on my blog? Why are they my favorites?
21) Are there any new features or memes I want to try?
Let’s chat: Have you been in a blogging(or reading) slump before? How did you get out of it? Do you have any questions that you think might be helpful to ask when you feel a slump coming on?