I never participate in yearly book challenges. It’s just too long & I can’t get into them. Give me a bingo board, though, and I am ON IT. So that’s how I seem to have found myself doing 4 reading challenges all at once.
ARC August happens every year and is hosted by the lovely Shelly, Octavia, and Angie at Read. Sleep. Repeat. My goal for ARC August is to read 5 ARCs, though I have a lot more I could read. I’ve already read Sleeping Giants and Moxie. I’m also hoping to read at least three of these: Glow, Release, The Tiger’s Daughter, They Both Die at the End, The Memory Trees, Timekeeper, or Of Fire and Stars. Sadly, there are many, many more backlist ARCs I could add to that list, but these are my priorities.
Summer Bookish Bingo
Bookish Bingo is hosted by Pretty Deadly Reviews. The summer bingo is actually almost over, since it ends in August, but since I was talking about reading challenges I figured I would include it too. This is what mine looks like so far:
The Reading Quest
The Reading Quest starts tomorrow and I’m super excited for this reading challenge! The Reading Quest is hosted by Read at Midnight, and the artwork was done by Read. Think. Ponder. While it does involve a bingo board, you also choose a character and read their pre-determined path. I have decided to take the path of the Rogue character. My challenges are then thus:
- a banned book
- a book cover with a partially obscured face
- a book with less than 500 ratings on Goodreads
- a book published by a small press
- a book with a one word title
Here is my (tentative) TBR:
- Banned book — I have a couple of ideas, none of which I actually own, so I’ll have to library this one. I’m leaning towards Annie on my Mind or Don’t You Dare Read This, Mrs. Dunphrey, from ALA’s frequently challenged young adult books list.
- Book cover with a partially obscured face – What Girls Are Made Of by Elana Arnold, or Here Lies Daniel Tate by Cristin Terrill. If I go with Daniel Tate, then I’ll probably use What Girls Are Made of for the book with less than 500 ratings.
- Book with less than 500 ratings on Goodreads – possibly Fearless by Shira Glassman
- Published by a small press – After the Fall, Before the Fall, During the Fall by Nancy Kress
- Book with a one word title – Release by Patrick Ness or Glow by Megan Bryant
Hopefully I’ll get to do some of the side quests too, but we’ll see!
Dahlia Adler is the bright mind behind TBR Bingo. Luckily, TBR bingo is ongoing, so it felt like a good way to combine some challenges. This one is all self-directed: make some of the books that always get pushed aside but that you really want to read your own bingo sheet, and read them! Here’s the one I made: